Happiness, homesickness, and everything in between

Today is definitely a fitting day to be writing my second blog. Today it has been a month since I arrived! One whole month since I left my family and friends to embark on the adventure of a lifetime. This also means it’s been a month since I met two of my favourite people here, Tilly and Cambridge Will (there you go guys you got the mention you’ve been begging for). We met whilst sprinting through Casablanca airport, barefoot, with 5 minutes to go until our connecting flight, and it turned out that we were all going to be studying at the same uni here – how coincidental! So this first little bit  is to say: happy one-month-in-Brazil guys! Can’t wait to do some more exploring with you, and thank you for showing me that Cambridge students are a lot more fun than one would expect (yes I did expect them to spend all their time in the library, I’m sorry for stereotyping).

Since my last blog, I’ve discovered that washing machines here are very confusing, minced meat is hard to come by in supermarkets, and walking on cobblestones in flip flops is very painful. All essential pieces of knowledge, I’d say. I’ve also visited some more beautiful places, eaten a lot of very good food, and done a little bit more travelling – we have definitely tried to enjoy our time off uni as much as possible!

Lewis, Will and I tried to make the most of a rainy day by visiting Catedral da Sé, an incredible gothic cathedral which I believe is one of the largest in South America. Even in the pouring rain, the cathedral was still strikingly beautiful. Entry is free, however to go into the crypt there is a small admission charge of around 7 reais – we didn’t go into it, but I have heard it is very much worth it and an attraction in its own right. A short walk away from the cathedral is the Theatro Municipal. This famous theatre is stunning and there are tours of the building several times a week, including an English tour for foreigners (find out more here). We are yet to do the tour, but will definitely try and fit it in at some point.

Catedral da Sé 

One Wednesday night, a group of us went to a sushi buffet called Tanka Restaurante in Liberdade, which I would definitely recommend as the quality of the food is excellent and far better than what I would expect from a buffet. After this we stumbled upon a live music bar in Vila Madalena called Piratininga, where we got to see some amazing jazz music for as little as 10 reais each, equivalent to about £2. The bar has a charmingly intimate atmosphere, and it was a really fun night with good music, fantastic company and plenty of beer.

Ceviche by the sea 
Lewis, Will and Tilly joined me on a trip to Paraty, a colonial town in Rio de Janeiro state which has some remarkable beaches. On our first full day there, we did a boat trip to see some gorgeous islands, and we stopped at a tiny restaurant by the sea which did the most amazing ceviche, which is a dish made of raw fish with lemon, chilli, chopped onions and other seasonings. On the boat trip we met a lovely group of Brazilian people and spent the day drinking caipirinhas and attempting to learn basic great moves from a dancer who was on the boat with us. Along the way, we saw sea turtles and flying fish, and we could swim right near them! All in all, it was a perfect day, and an experience I would recommend to anyone – read reviews of the boat trip here.


The day we got back from Paraty, it was Father’s Day here in Brazil. Lewis and I have been lucky enough to be paired up by the uni with a lovely Brazilian girl called Gabi, and her family have welcomed us with open arms. We spent Father’s Day with them and it was a brilliant day filled with fantastic food. We really could not be more grateful to Gabi and her family for everything they have done for us. They have become our Brazilian family, which is so helpful when we are so far away from our families back home.

Our Brazilian family on Dia dos Pais 

In between all the fun we’ve been having, there have been some low points, the main one being homesickness. Homesickness can only be expected when travelling so far from home for such a long time, but I have suffered with it a lot more than I expected to. At the start there were days where I genuinely contemplated getting on the next flight home. Luckily, I’ve now started to settle in a lot better and I do now feel more at home here in São Paulo. For that, I largely have two people to thank. Firstly, Gabi, as she and her family provide me with a home away from home which is often just what I need. Secondly, Lewis, who has been my absolute rock when I’ve been struggling, and I can’t thank him enough for that. When away from home I think it’s so important to realise that feeling homesick is normal, especially when you’re having to adapt to a culture so different to your own whilst also learning a new language and trying to make new friends. It’s okay to feel low sometimes, it doesn’t mean you’re letting yourself down! Just keep yourself busy and speak to family and friends if you’re feeling unhappy – they will want to help!

That’s all for this blog I think. I’ll be back soon I’m sure!

Beijos,
Lola

Caipirinhas in the sea with Lewis, Will and Tilly

Paraty

Comments

  1. That's lovely Lola, sounds like you have had a busy few weeks and met some wonderful people. Good luck with uni this week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a fun and busy few weeks - important to make the most of it! Thank you x

      Delete
  2. That's really nice to read. We didn't met yet but i'm Camila's daughter and my mom talks a lot of about you and Lewis. Now, i'm following your blog and seeing your point of view of your journey, I hope that you enjoy, keep writing and maybe sometime I could met you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah obrigada amor!! Queremos conhecer a você, que Camila fala muito de você! A próxima vez que estejamos na casa da família pedimos que Camila avise a você para que nós possamos conhecer!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts